See Tong’s City – Toronto
We are very happy to present the next photographer in our “SeeTheirCity” series – Tong, @TonoAriki on Instagram. Tong is a self-taught photographer based in Toronto, Canada. In his spare time he enjoys wandering the neighbourhoods of the city, searching for vibrant colours and symmetry to use in his photographs. Tong uses photography as a means to document the world around him. His goal is to make photographs that will encourage viewers to be more observant of their surroundings and to see the beauty in the everyday.
1. Featured picture
Tong’s chosen SeeMyToronto picture (above) best represents his city and style, and the beauty he sees everyday. The Toronto skyline is iconic and represents his home and the people he cares about.
We asked Tong to pick one of each opposite listed below that describes his style best. His choices are highlighted:
- Spontaneous or Planner
- Lone shooter or Social shooter
- Colours or Black & White
- Gadgets or Simply mobile phone
- iOS or Android
- Innovative or Traditional
- Edit or No edit
- Filter or No Filter
- People (in pictures) or No People
3. Tong’s top 3 reasons to visit Toronto:
- The neighbourhoods
- The diversity
- The food
4. Tong’s best “secret” hot spots to visit in Toronto:
1) Toronto Island: It is an urban oasis. The island is especially beautiful in the Summer and Fall where the natural surroundings make you forget about the concrete jungle just minutes away.
2) Neighbourhood Alleyways: Strolling through neighbourhoods in Toronto is the best way to discover colourful street art and the architectural heritage of the city.
3) 401 Richmond: One of my favourite buildings in the city. The building is home to many creative minds and artists in Toronto. Best of all, there is a green roof with a fantastic view of downtown.
5. Tong’s suggestion for a future SeeMyCity project: Bangkok
Tong would love to see Bangkok, Thailand get picked for the next SeeMyCity Project. If he had to choose one word to describe the city, it would be ‘exotic’. There are awe-inspiring and glittering temples scattered throughout an ultra-modern setting. There’s also the mouthwatering street food, the colourful tuk-tuks weaving through the busy streets, and, most of all, the people, who are so polite and respectful as well as having a calm approach to life..
6. Tong’s app recommendation:
Tong recommends VSCO Cam for image editing
7. Tong’s top 3 recommendations of other Toronto Instagrammers to follow:
Here are some of Tong’s favorite pictures of Toronto:
Many thanks to Tong for the interview and for inspiring us with his amazing images. Check back in a month’s time to find out what city and photographer we will see next.